State-of-the-art equipment and facilities
At the Saint Agnes Breast Center you’ll find state-of-the-art equipment and facilities designed to give you the most advanced care possible.
Saint Agnes is a leader in bringing the most advanced treatment methods to our patients. We were the first to offer Tomotherapy radiation treatment and continue to bring the latest treatment methods like Stereotactic radiation and Accuboost. Other common treatment methods include chemotherapy, surgery, or a combination of these methods. Your multidisciplinary team will develop an individualized treatment plan for you.
- Surgery-The two main types of breast surgery procedures performed are lumpectomy and mastectomy. In a lumpectomy procedure the affected portion of the breast is removed with care to insure that as much of the healthy breast remains intact. A mastectomy procedure requires the removal of the entire affected breast and potentially, surrounding lymph nodes.
- Reconstructive Surgery— The Breast Center Team includes our renowned Plastic and Reconstructive surgeons. These surgeons are with you from the beginning of the treatment process. Should you require surgery for breast disease our plastic surgeons and breast surgeons will work together to devise the most appropriate procedures. Our surgeons also offer the DIEP Flap procedure for women who have undergone mastectomies. This procedure is highly complex procedure Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforators (DIEP) blood vessels in the lower abdomen as well as the skin and fat connected to them but does not sacrifice any of the woman’s abdominal muscles. There are various options that our surgeons offer such options as Implants, TRAM flaps and DIEP flap surgery as well as oncoplastic procedures. The reconstructive team includes a select group of anesthesiologists, Surgical Assistants and Nurses.
- Chemotherapy - During chemotherapy, cancer-attacking chemical agents are delivered into your body intravenously. At the Cancer Institute, our medical oncologists are highly trained and highly skilled in administering chemotherapy. You’ll benefit from some of the most advanced and most experienced treatment in Maryland. For more information of Chemotherapy Click here.
- Hormonal Therapy – Some types of breast cancer are sensitive to hormonal treatments. These treatments can stop the growth of the cancerous tumors and can also be used to prevent the development of breast cancer in high risk women.
- Radiation Therapy—The Cancer Institute has long been a leader in Radiation techniques. We were the first Hospital in the mid Atlantic region to offer tomotherapy and mammosite technology. The Cancer Institute also offers Stereotactic radiation therapy and Brachytherapy. For more information of Radiation Therapy Click here.
- Clinical Trials – The Breast Center actively participates in a variety of clinical trials that can be offered to select patients. By participating in these trials, The Breast Center can offer patienst access to the newest, cutting edge treatment. To learn more about the trials that are currently being offered please contact Betsy Chandler at 410-368-XXXX.
The Saint Agnes Breast team provides the most advanced clinical expertise and comprehensive care for every patient throughout her treatment. Each patient receives a full perspective, including a personal treatment plan, timeline and a one-on-one consultation with each of your specialists. We offer the following:
- Experienced Certified Nurse Navigators who are with you throughout your journey, helping guide you through every step of the way. Consider them your partner, working to ensure you receive proper clinical attention and information so that you can focus on your health.
- Certified Oncology Social Worker who offers you a variety of dynamic support systems and advice on taking good care of yourself and your family.
- One of the few hospitals in Maryland to offer an onsite American Cancer Society Representative
- Timeliness—when you have been diagnosed with breast cancer, you want information fast, and we understand that. We work tirelessly to ensure that you have quick access to appointments, diagnostic testing and treatment.
- The most advanced technology and fully equipped state-of-the-art operative suites
- Minimally invasive outpatient diagnostic procedures
- The most highly skilled physicians in both breast and reconstructive surgery
- Long standing partnerships with a variety of non-profit organizations that provide assistance to our patients as they undergo treatment.