LEADERS IN WOMEN’S HEART CARE
At Saint Agnes Hospital, the acclaimed Cardiovascular Institute launched the Women’s Heart Center to give women a personalized approach to living long, heart-healthy lives.
The Women's Heart Center is led by Dr. Shannon Winakur, who expanded on the success of Red Dress Sunday and she is responsible for developing the center’s approach to highly personalized care for women. This approach focuses on screenings, education and prevention. Due to the high-risk level for women and our commitment to putting an end to this devastating disease, the program is available to any woman over the age of 18.
THE “HEART HEALTH ASSESSMENT” PROCESS
The screenings at the Women’s Heart Center are designed to be a proactive step for women in identifying both normal and abnormal results, keeping you in control of your health.
Your Heart Health Assessment will take approximately 1 hour, which includes all of the items below as well as a one-on-one review of your results with a Registered Nurse (RN).
- You will begin by completing a comprehensive risk assessment.
- The results of that risk assessment will then be reviewed with you and based on your results you will receive personalized education and resources to keep you at your healthiest.
- In addition, you will have an Electrocardiogram (a simple test that measures the heart’s activity, also known as an EKG). You’ll also have lab work done, which will include total cholesterol, and A1C, which measures your average blood glucose levels. The results of these tests will be mailed to you with further recommendations based on results.
- If any of your results are abnormal you will be referred to Dr. Shannon Winakur, medical director for the Women’s Heart Center at Saint Agnes, for further evaluation and more sophisticated tests.
The results of your lab work up and EKG will be reviewed by Dr. Winakur or one of our other expert cardiologists. We will mail you an assessment report tailored specifically to your results.
If your tests show that you are at a high risk for heart disease we will refer you to a medical professional at the Women's Heart Center at Saint Agnes for further discussion, education, testing and treatment.
Your Heart Risk Assessment and personalized appointment will cost you only $60. For less than the cost of a day at the spa you can take control of your heart health for life.
on the radio
Dr. Shannon Winakur and Debbie Phelps joined Anne Quasman on the show Women Talk Live to discuss what you can do to fight the nation's leading killer of women.
Click here to listen.
Give the Gift of Health!
Give the woman in your life the best gift ever, the gift of good health!
Call 410-368-2419 today to arrange a 60 minute heart check for your loved one.
Get Started Today
Take an important step in caring for your heart. Sign up for your Heart Health Assessment today:
Risk Factors for Heart Disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Physical inactivity
- Family history of heart disease – male relative under age 55 or female relative under 65
- Autoimmune diseases like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis*
* Particular concern for women
New risk factors are being identified. A recent study suggests that survivors of trauma or abuse are more likely to develop heart disease.
Symptoms of Heart Disease*
Symptoms generally occur with exertion and resolve with rest.
- Shortness of breath
- Chest discomfort or pressure, sometimes radiating to arms, neck or back
* While symptoms are similar for both genders, women have a tendency to present more often with fatigue and shortness of breath than with chest pain.